23 May, 2020

Restoring a Datafile into ASM

What happens to the file name when you restore a datafile into RAC ?

I create a new tablespace and datafile.


I then make a backup of the tablespace/datafile


I shutdown the database and remove the datafile physically





Now I startup the database and restore the datafile




Now, I recover the datafile



Now, I check the datafile name




The alert log also shows me the restored (new) file name



The trailing portion of the file name changed from "t1.303.1041178221" to "t1.303.1041179951".
(The "t1" is actually the Tablespace Name).

So, we can see that ASM actually renames the file --- it is an Oracle Managed File.  Every time, you place (i.e. restore) a datafile into ASM, the file name is changed.  However, the controlfile and data dictionary are also updated correctly.

No comments: